Thursday, January 12, 2012

How to Get "The Look"!

Remember  Ana Antunes' living room from my post yesterday?
I got a lot of emails and comments about this room.  Obviously, I am not the only one who loves this look!  After all, what's not to love about it, right?  It has soothing colors, just the right amount of eye candy and details to intrigue the eye!  Several of you said, "how do I get that look?"  Will you come do it for me?  And the answer is.....Yes, I would be happy to come over and do it for you, but if you want to save some $$ and do it yourself, I'm going to tell you how.  


"The Swoon Room"





My "Swoon Room" Knockoff ...






So, what do you think?  Does it give you the feel of the original "Swoon Room"?


Welcome to my "How to get the look" series!


  So really, how does one go about getting a room to look like this, 
if they aren't a designer or don't have a knack for design? 


Each day, I am going to walk you through the steps of creating a room like the ones you see in magazines. Hopefully, you will learn how you can create a room without help from anyone.(except me)   I think it will be fun!  I hope you will join me!


Today's homework is to:

1.  Find your "Swoon Room" 

  Find your inspirational photo
 (if you find photos with layouts similar to the room you are working with it helps).  
You may have several photos that you liked.  
Compare them to see what they have in common. 

Look through magazines or online and find rooms with things you like.  Now days with Pinterest, Houzz, and all the other websites, there are zazillions of pictures of designer rooms online.  Start a little file of all the rooms you like.  You could start your file on Pinterest if you wanted. Don't know about Pinterest?  Check mine out here. If you want an invitation I can send you one, just email me.

Warning!  It is addictive!  I've been on it since last May and have amassed quite a collection of pictures.  The good thing about Pinterest is once you "pin it", clicking on the picture takes you back to the original site unless the author removes it. 

Meet me back here tomorrow for step #2 on "How to get the look"

Hope you are having a terrific Thursday...












Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I love this new "How to Get the Look" series! And that pink, chevron rug you picked definitely belongs in my swoon room!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first picture has a casually elegant feel and I love that the accessories look like they can be moved around easily and swapped. What you have created is amazing - I love the fuchsia paired with a softer blue hue - fun and vibrant yet soothing and certainly elegant. My favorite pieces would be the artwork and chandelier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful room, so soft and feminine. I love all your picks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Pinterest is Ahmazing ! I'm following it now......

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!