Friday, December 6, 2013

My Top 5 "Radiant Orchid" Paint Colors- Pantone Color for 2014 - Paint Portfolio



Orchids by Better Homes and Gardens


 The verdict is in and the new color for 2014 is…

Radiant Orchid 


 Radiant Orchid is described as a purple with pink undertones.  Great ready for an influx of purple, pinks, fuchsia and all tones in between.  While Radiant Orchid leans more towards purple, all pinks and purples will be embraced in fashion and home decor.  Radiant Orchid is a color that inspires confidence, health, joy and love according to Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of Pantone. 

Radiant Pink Orchid
The new color was named for the radiant pink phalaenopsis orchid and I don't know which I love more, the color or the orchid!  

Via
While most people will not paint an entire room this color, for reasons
evident in this room with the light reflecting the color, it is good used as
an accent. 
Benjamin Moore Mulberry , Design by Lindsey Coral Harper
However, Lindsey Coral Harper did successfully use Benjamin Moore "Mulberry"  2075-20
 in this study.  This color is really darker than it photographs though.  If you look at the actual fan deck  it is a dark wine. This was probably one of the most repined rooms of 2012/2013.  
Every designer I know loved it.

Via
Radiant Orchid is a color that is extremely lush when used for upholstery in silks or velvets.  
Look how dynamite it looks here in this opulent space.


1. "Vintage Wine" 141-6 Porter Paints   2. "Novel Lilac" Sherwin Williams SW6836
3. "Sorceress" Porter Paints 141-4     4. "Royal Pageant" Porter Paints 141-5
5. "Twilight Magenta" Benjamin Moore 2074-30  6. "Mulberry"  Benjamin Moore 2075-20


Orchid is a fine balance between pink and purple.  Depending on the percentage of red or blue in the paint, orchid can look more pink like "Radiant Orchid" or more Purple like some of the ones I am working with on this client.  A good rule of thumb when choosing orchid is to choose the color you like on the fan deck then adjust according to the intensity desired.  Generally speaking, orchid is much like emerald green in that it is better as an accent or if used in an entire room, in a lighter shade or used with lots of white and natural light to soften the intensity of the color. 

Via



Ok, I confess…   I'm currently working on an orchid dining room?   While my orchid of choice isn't quite as pink as "Radiant Orchid", it is still in the orchid family!  I had no sooner finished writing my post yesterday on my favorite emerald greens (Pantone Color 2013) when I check emails and discovered Pantone had announced  "Radiant Orchid" as the new color for 2014.  Orchid is one of my favorite colors, since being in Europe in September, so I have been plotting to use it in a project since returning home as well in my own abode.  



So what about you?  Do you like orchid?  Do you plan to incorporate it in your own home in paints or furnishing or just as orchids on your dining table?

P.S. Yesterday, I remember the suede bag I bought a couple of months ago. 
When I bought it, I thought this is going to be my punctuation mark or accent color for my
fall/spring wardrobe.  Guess what color it is…. Radiant Orchid!


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the orchid! Can't say I'm a fan of mauve--I lived through too much of it in the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Linda. The color I am working with is actually orchid not mauve. I think the photo doesn't truly show the right color. Thanks for popping in!

      Delete
  2. Orchid is gorgeous. I was so pleased when I saw this as the color of the year. I'm so interested to see how it changes the blogging and design world this next year. I'm not sure yet how I will incorporate it in my home, I'm still gathering images to get some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to add that I love the Benjamin Moore Mullberry inspiration photo you found. It's amazing in that space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! I was actually getting ready to paint my dining room this color! The soft version!

      Delete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!