Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday Life & Living Authentically....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

My new series starting in January,  "Living An Authentic Life"
 will cover the gambit on ways to create a home that feels authentically yours, but part of creating that home is learning what being "authentic" means to you.  For me that means finding what makes me happy or what I can do to make others happy.  Every Sunday, I will discuss traditions or events from my life or the life of others that I feel are part of what creates that "happy" in a family.  I am going to bare my soul and share some insights that might surprise you.  I am also going to have some guest posts that I am really excited about as well.  Sharing our "authentic selves" is not always easy, but I think it helps others find their own true self which is what this series is all about.  

Deepak Chopra

 Are you willing to embark on this journey?  What will it take?  How will we do it?  Will we  achieve success?  Only time will tell.  It isn't something that happens fast, it is a true journey.  Are you ready for the experience?  

James Carroll


It isn't hard, it just takes time and effort.  It isn't about being perfect or better, but about being "just right" as we learned from the old fairy tale Goldilocks & The Three Bears.   We learn as much from the process as we do from the outcome.

John Updike


 Having an authentic home isn't only about finding the art that speaks to your soul or the chair placement that is right for the number of people in your family, but also about the heart of the home, the soul of the home, so that is what these Sunday posts will discuss.  How to you create a soulfulness or a home with heart?

Tina Turner

What is Sunday like at your house? The day we are suppose to rest, rejuvenate and regroup.
What does your day of rest include?  Do you go to church, enjoy the day at home, or
visit with friends and family?  When I was a little girl, we always went to church and often after church we would go eat at my Grandmother's.  If we didn't go eat at my grandmothers, we would end up there by the end of the day.  Both of my grandparents lived very close to us so many Sundays we would visit both sets of grandparents.  There were always cousins to play with and good food to eat.  As an adult, I don't live near my family so I miss that tradition.  I grew up in a large family and as an adult haven't had family living around me and rarely even have family visit.  The rest of my family live fairly close to one another so they see each other and eat together through out the year.  We see them on holidays and in the summer when we are at the beach.  Many of the traditions that were part of my childhood have no longer been part of my adulthood.  Has that been the same with you or has life afforded you the same pleasures?  For years, I felt empty and lonely on Sundays and couldn't figure out why.  It wasn't until I identified that I was missing my childhood Sundays that I was able to put a finger on how I was feeling.  I can't have those Sundays with my side of the family but my in-laws live fairly close to us, so we started having them over every Sunday night for dinner.  My children look forward to this as much as I did the traditions of my youth. 
That's when I realized, that in life we don't always get what we want ,so we have to look for ways to be happy with the life that we have been dealt.   Are there things from your childhood you miss?  Are these things something you want for your own children?  If so, find your way to recreate the experiences you enjoyed for your own family in your own way.  
It's all part of living authentically.  

Nikky Finney


What do you want your life to say about you?  What do you want to pass on to the next generation?  What traditions, experiences do you want to continue in your family?

Robert Bresson


I am going to keep a notebook during our experience where I write down things I know make me happy.  Will you do the same?  I challenge you to record 5 things today that make you have and give your heart happiness?  Then write down five ways you will strive to create more balance, happiness and tradition in your home in 2013.  I hope you will think about these things and record them!  Please share with me what you find!

Happy Sunday!
Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful Lisa. So full of love and meaning!

    MC and I both grew up with family an enjoyed Sundays and the Holidays as you.

    When we married and were raising our children we lived on the West Coast and both our families were on the East Coast. All the traditions with "family" ceased, but we did continue the immediate family traditions for Holidays and Birthdays...the manner of Santa arriving, etc. We created our own Traditions with our kids! Our daughter has carried some of them to her family!

    When we were raising our kids, Sundays were never any different than any other day....MC was in the Air Force and away most of the time.

    MC and I live hundreds of miles from our children and our grandchildren. We rarely see them, but we talk on the phone a lot!!!

    Now that we are retire it's hard to remember what day of the week it is!!!

    I will enjoy following your series ....it's a wonderful idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was special Lisa. Thank you. And yes, people should think about these simple things that give much happiness to ourselves and our children. Sunday was always special while growing up and I try to continue that in our house. I look forward to your Sunday posts...kind of like going to Church...makes Sunday feel special. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping in and for your kind comments! I look forward to spending this series with you!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank You Linda! I hope you will be back! I'll look forward to it!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot, I deleted my comment by accident but the gist of it is I am really looking forward to this series and the timing of it couldn't be better for where I am in life and my mindset. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its ok that you accidentially deleted! I got it through email anyway and it was a sweet sentiment! I will email you back! thanks for commenting! i hope you enjoy the post and will also contribute!! Happy Holidays Susie!

      Delete
  6. I am along for the ride! I think that it is great that you identified what was making you feel empty and did what you could to remedy it. How nice that you have started that tradition up with your in-laws. I too grew up in a large family. We are all here for the most part and I am thankful for that. I look forward to taking the time to pause and reflect during your series. Being a mom with 3 little ones can take so much out of you. I need to find these moments to breathe so that I can be the best mom to these little souls.Thank you for doing this series Lisa! I'm really looking forward to it! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I am so happy you are interested in this series. I hope I can share somethings that have made a difference in my life. Its nice that you are near your family! I really feel like I have missed out on a lot by not being near mine. And yes, you do need to find the moments to breathe. If we are happy we can be our best self for others.

      Delete
  7. wow, count me in. thanks for sharing your wonderful sunday memories with us. we never had defined sunday traditions like that growing up, though in retrospect we tended to do the same things over and over on Sunday.

    I'm thinking about my 5 things that make me happy and those tend to come quickly and easily to mind (being with my kids, husband, etc) but the things I'll do to restore balance to my life in 2013....hmmmmm, I'm going to have to give some thought to that! Lemme get my journal out! I'll keep a record, promise! Great series! Now you've got me thinking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I am so happy you are going to join in on the series. I started my journal tonight. Can't wait to share thoughts and hear what you have to say as well! I am glad you are giving it thought, that is the purpose of this series, so you are on the right path!

      Delete
  8. Goodness Lisa, what were you waiting for?;) I am excited for you!!! Your soul says thank you and so do I...lead on xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney. I am excited about sharing it!

      Delete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!