Monday, January 12, 2015

Taking the Selfie to a Whole New Level!

VIA

Modern day Snow Whites can now look into the magic looking glass for more answers than "who is the fairest in the land."    The Washington Post reported that Neiman Marcus is drinking the kool-aid and has installed MemoryMirrors in their Walnut Creek, California store with plans to expand into in the San Francisco and Dallas stores as well.  I have mixed feelings about this product.  I need to know more about it before I can weigh in on whether I will actually try the MemoryMirror when shopping in Neimans. 
{Click here to continue reading....}


 The mirror isn't actually a mirror, but a 70 inch screen with a camera mounted on top.   The shopper controls the mirror via ipad.  The consumer can video themselves in various outfits and compare how they look in the mirror.  The technology allows the shopper to compare two outfits side-by-side to see which is more flattering.  The mirror has a special feature called perspective distortion correction which allows the image of the shopper to fill the entire screen which gives the shopper a great 360 view of the garment on their body.  

There are pros and cons to this technology in my opinion.  I like the idea of being able to see myself, in the same garment in different colors, without the effort of changing clothes.  I'm not sure like the idea of the images being stored in the program.  Having access to what the consumer was considering, but didn't purchase is great for the store, but for some reason, I feel like this is a violation of privacy.   This insider information gives the store a second chance to tempt the consumer and close the deal.   Do we really want to be bothered by sales people reminding us of what we didn't buy or is that a good thing?  hmm...The flip side of the coin, is what if the consumer knows the store might offer  the outfit at a discount if it wasn't purchase during the initial visit to the store?  Will the consumer be less likely to impulse buy in hopes of receiving a discount via email later?  I guess the advantages and disadvantages can fall in both camps. 

Forgive my analytical musings of this seemingly harmless way to shop, but I am not sold on the idea. There is something creepy about others viewing images of the consumer after they leave the store, isn't there?   If we were all twenty or looked like super models, it might be ok.  I don't 
want to have to adorn makeup to visit Neiman's, do you?  Yet, I don't want ugly pictures of me circulating either. By using the app, the consumer gives Neiman's the right to use the pictures. 

The other potential issue I see with this technology its ability to post the images/videos on social media.  Ok, I know the studies claim that 71% of consumers are more likely to use a social media referral to make a purchase but come on!   Can you imagine the flood of 20 yr olds posting videos of themselves?  Yikes!  If you are tired of selfies, image what this will be like!  Hopefully, consumers will be discretionary and use the e-mail option instead to ask a friend's advice.
Ok, so perhaps I'm old school and slow to the party.  I'm not against technology, but I see pitfalls with this.  I mean, I'm all over locating a pair of shoes or a bag via a smartphone app just not sure I pictures of me that could show up elsewhere or be used as salesperson fodder.    I admit I often take pictures of myself in the dressing room so I can see myself in the outfit, but I control those pictures.  I think this idea could be a much better idea if the consumer could control the pictures and delete when finished.   What do you think?
 I would like to know your opinion.






Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Lisa I agree and have the same concerns about this. I mean we are already followed all around the internet sites by whatever we have looked at recently. I do not want to see or have others (even the Nieman staff) looking at me trying on fashions!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Featuring "Inner Spaces"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way Karena. Feels kinda strange but I'm sure it will be a big hit with the younger generation. Happy Monday to you!

      Delete
  2. hmmm interesting. Whos to say they can't get hacked and someone snap shots of you in your undies! So not only would I need to make sure Im wearing make up- but I'd need to make sure my bra AND panties matched. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Amanda, i think the pictures are taking outside the dressing room so hopefully you would be dressed! you just gave me a cackle! oxoxox

      Delete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!