Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Mailbox on Topsail Beach and Wimbledon has a Winner!

photo courtesy of Kathy Cozort

What are you doing on your beautiful Sunday?  

Did you enjoy a champagne brunch while
 celebrating the Men's Finals at Wimbledon like
my neighbor Kathy,who sent me the picture above this
 morning? Congrats to Andy Murray the new Champ!

    
We are spending the day on the beach, but plan to walk later this afternoon to Serenity Point, which is located at the south end of island. Last week I when I took my walk there I discovered "The Mailbox".  


The mailbox is located on the very south tip of the island
 on the ocean side in the dunes. I have no idea how 
long it has been there.


I don't know who the creator is either,but I love the concept. 
I love the quirky way it has been decorated with christmas
 lights and trinkets.


As you can see it is just a normal mailbox attached to a post
and supported by a piece of fencing.


Further inspection revealed added support 
from this board.


I opened the mailbox and found a plastic container inside.


The top of the box looked like this.  It gives a QR code and
says to "like" Daily Post on Facebook but I couldn't find it.


 I opened the box and found two notebooks.  Visitors to the mailbox write their thoughts, things they have done while on the island and special notes.  It's really kinda cool.


 There was a cute little chair where you could sit while
 you wrote in the book, but it is now covered by sand.
We have had an issue with sand gravitating to that end 
of the island since the beach nourishment.


 My friend Michelle told me about the mailbox.  She told me she and her husband had discovered it last winter while riding their truck on the beach.  Doesn't that sound fun! Being on the beach in the winter when no one else is there?   Such is the luck of the locals who live here year around.  I dream about being here when it is so quiet in the winter.
I jotted down a quick note and headed on my way home.  I really didn't know what to write.  I have spent 48 summers on this beach! What does one say about a favorite adventure, day or destination when you have spent that many in one place?  My note was pretty simple.  I might write more each time I go back.  There's so much to love about this island. 


As I walked away, I looked back at the mailbox and thought it interesting how many footprints were around it.  Obviously, I wasn't the only one visiting the mailbox that day.  


If you take a walk around Serenity Point at Topsail make sure you visit the mailbox.  We enjoy this lovely little oasis so much.  It's nice to have a place where we can read what others have enjoyed on the island. 
If you know anything about the mailbox, please share!  
I would love to know more about it!

Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Lisa the mailbox is so cool!!! Love the concept and meaning....one could write a book/movie about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, What a wonderful idea! Have a great time at the beach.
    xo, Lissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissy! I hope you are having fun in the mountains!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Isn't it cute Carrie? Hope you have a great Monday!

      Delete
  4. A friend was just telling me I needed to read THE MAILBOX: A Novel by Marybeth Whalen about a woman who visits a kindred spirit mailbox based at Sunset Beach... Obviously someone's read the book and made a Topsail mailbox! I love it!!! Now I really want to start the book!!!!! And make the trek to the point! (-; Edna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful surprise, and love that you can leave a note!!! so darling...no messages in a bottle? This is the land lubbers version.
    Hope youre enjoying the beach. It looks lovely.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me and my wife found this while on our anniversary trip to Top Sail. We love Top Sail and go every chance we get. We wrote a note in it on Sunday, 07/20/2013. Check it out if you go. Sean and Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me and my wife found this while on our anniversary trip to Top Sail. We love Top Sail and go every chance we get. We wrote a note in it on Sunday, 07/20/2013. Check it out if you go. Sean and Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. id love to find the faccebook page.....i did not have my phone w me...anyone have the link? please msg me....https://www.facebook.com/mackenzie.emrich

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mailbox is part of the geocaching movement. "Geocaching is the real-world treasure hunt that's happening right now, all around you. There are 2,295,229 active geocaches and over 6 million geocachers worldwide." http://www.geocaching.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!