Thursday, November 15, 2012

Should I Do It or Not?


Ty Larkin Interior Design

I have long been a lover of painted floors which leads me to a dilemma.  I am at a crossroads and can't seem to move forward, since it is my own house and there isn't a client to yay or nay the idea, I need you! My floors need refinishing and I very tempted to paint them instead!  I absolutely love the look.  Will I hate myself if I do?  Two boys, one yorkie and 
lots of kids will be the issues?  If I do it, do I buy socks for everyone to adorn when they visit?  haha!  I have heard all kins of tales of using marine paint, etc.  What are your thoughts?  Have you painted floors?  Were you happy? If you have an opinion or advice I am opening the flood gate....

Tell me pah-leazzze!!!

If you have painted floors and they have held up
 well please share your process!  

If you want to see some of my floor inspirations other that the dynamite show house  above that designer Ty Larkin so beautifully created, check out my Pinterest Board Here!

PS- Modenus is compiling a list of the Top 100 Interior Design

 Blogs…. this blog has been nominated by readers, I would 

love it if you would vote for Lisa Mende Design scrolling down 

to find my name and clicking on 

the green thumbs up next to my entry here


(you only have to vote once)

Thanks so much for your support!
Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I love the look of painted floors. In my experience, if you are OK with a distressed look from scratches and scuffs, you will enjoy them. Constant monitoring your family and friends for potential damage might drive you bonkers, Lisa.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so right Linda and i think I like that look!

      Delete
  2. It's a commitment but I sure do love the look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Emily, but I do love the look. Not sure I will do it.

      Delete
  3. I love the look, but I just rather change out my patterned area rugs. Less of a commitment, but more fun to change seasonally. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a designer you probably get new inspirations and change your home more ofter than most, right? This will box you into one look and to change it....well, cha ching! I would get a striped rug.... that way when you want to change it...it is a lot easier. I love the look of painted floors, but I would get sick of having a pattern on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I painted concrete for a friend and with a coating they have held up very well. I love the look.
    Please share what you do. By the way, that is one of my favorite images. Perfection.
    Happy Thursday, Lisa.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooooohhhhhh, I say "do it!" It's such a great look!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do, you'd better bet I'll hire a professional but today am thinking no go..

      Delete
  7. I love it. If you recall, the painted floors in my beach house held up very well. I say do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,
    I am painting the floors in the Cashiers kitchen! I have had several painted floors and love them. I have done borders with plain centers and checker boards on the diagonal. The worst part is the math to lay it out. I will have a N.C. artist working on this one.

    xo, Lissy Parker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see them!!! I know they will be beautiful!

      Delete
  9. Shout me and e-mail

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have concrete painted floors. It looks amazing but the cleaning sometimes is an issue... Obviously, there are always some though marks that you'll need harsh products to remove, and in case of painted floors, harsh cleaners will rub off the paint. Believe it or not, dogs and kids won't cause much harm to your floors, the worse are "high heels" or sliding furniture or heavy items over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I know my friend had her hardwoods ruined by a friend who came in with heels that didn't have the tip on. That would be terrible!! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  11. Lisa - I think that they are beautiful! But you don't have to have it be super graphic either. One of the most striking images in my head was of a Mary McDonald room where the floors were either stained with a pattern or it was a very neutral tone-on-tone pattern. It gave the room so much character!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!