Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Refinish or Replace Hardwood Flooring - With Lumber Liquidators The Answer is Simple!



Our renovation will be chronicled on my new blog which is almost ready to launch but in an effort to entice you to follow along on the new blog renovation series, I decided I would give you a little teaser of what is coming so I'm going to start at the bottom and work my way up or perhaps I should say, I'll start with the flooring.  



My family and I live in a house built in the 80's.  We have lived her for twenty years and recently decided to renovate to update our home.  As an interior designer, I am exposed to so many different products that it is often hard to decide on products to use for my projects.  Unfortunately, the budget does play a role in the products I chose for my home, but quality and durability rank pretty high along with the budget.  I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, so I always try to hold out for the best products I can afford. 

The original flooring in our house was a thin plank red oak which I have never really liked.  Yes, it is "real" hardwood, but it isn't what I would specify if I were building a new home. 

A few years ago we had a water line leak while we were on vacation and the hardwoods received damage from standing water.  I knew I had to do something to fix the issue but wasn't sure what I wanted to do to correct the situation.  The options were to replace the area of damaged hardwoods and then refinish the flooring.  In my case, this meant refinishing the entire downstairs of the house.  If you have had hardwoods refinished, ou know what an ordeal that can be with moving furniture out and the length of the process depending on the finish you chose.   If your house is like mine and all the rooms are connected this means moving out the entire downstairs until the floors are finished.  We are also repainting and gutting our kitchen, so any step that could save time in the process would be a bonus.  I begin to weigh my options.  Here is what I determined:

1) Replace existing hardwoods in damaged areas only and refinish all the flooring to match

Pros:  We would replace the area that was damaged which was an area that was approx 300 sq ft. so this did not involve a lot of product.
We would continue to have solid hardwood flooring which could be refinished when needed. 

Cons:  We would continue to have the same thin board flooring which I didn't love.  We would have to move out of our house and not have access to our downstairs until the process was finished.  We would need to rent a storage pod which would be located in our driveway to house the furniture while the floors were being refinished.  This is an added expense and would also make our driveway congested.  Depending on the finishing products we chose it could be three days out of the house or  up to 7 seven days.  The flooring may or may not match exactly as the original.  Anytime new flooring is laid with older flooring you stand the chance of the wood not taking the stain the same way.  

The other issue is that since we are gutting our kitchen, we needed to have the game plan together for the flooring as the new kitchen configuration will be different than the old so the flooring will be replaced in areas where the cabinet floor plan will change. 

2) Replace all the floors with a prefinished product.

Pros -  The flooring can be replaced one room at a time and once the flooring is laid the room's floors are instantly finished.  There is no need to wait days for polyurethane to dry.  The process is complete when the floors are laid.  I could also choose the width of the boards and the color of new flooring.  When you choose a pre-finished floor you see the finished look of the floor so you know exactly what you are getting.  There isn't the worry that you won't like the stain or that some boards may not take the stain the same way.  Depending on the finish and style of flooring chosen, you can change the look and feel entirely of your home.  The options are endless!  

Cons:  I honestly couldn't find any Cons.  The price was about the issue at this point.  There are many products to consider but another designer friend of mine recommended I check out the bamboo flooring at Lumber Liquidators.  We have two Lumber Liquidators in Charlotte but the one closest to me is in Matthews at 11101 East Independence Drive so I drove over to the showroom to see what I could find.

Lumber Liquidators doesn't have a fancy designer showroom.  It is sufficent, but more like a builder's showroom.  They are not in the business of trying to impress the consumer with anything other than to offer great products, a wide selection, and impeccable customer service. 
I actually videoed my shopping experience at Lumber Liquidators so you can see what my process was like.  I plan to share that with you soon. 

After looking at all my options, I decided to choose:

Morning Star Click 1/2" x 5" Antique Hazel Click Strand Bamboo




I entertained using a dark stained floor, light natural floor and the new grey options which are currently available but decided for the age and the style of my traditional home the medium brown color was perfect.  

Here is are some of the reasons I chose this flooring:


Morning Star Bamboo- 1/2" x 5" Antique Hazel Click Strand Stained Solid Distressed Bamboo Flooring has a 30 Year Warranty!!!


Morning Star Bamboo Flooring is one of the best bamboo floors on the market today. It is produced from old growth bamboo reeds that are at least 4 years old, thereby increasing hardness. Morning Star Bamboo Flooring creates a naturally beautiful and ecologically friendly product that evokes a feeling of luxury.
Quick Highlights:

- Real Bamboo
- Eco-Friendly
- Low Emission Adhesive
- Easy to Install Click/Glue Flooring
- Premium Finish
- 30 Year Warranty

Strand
Twice as hard as oak, strand bamboo is an optimal choice for busy homes when durability is needed to stand up to the wear and tear of family foot traffic, active kids and even pets. 
To make strand bamboo, shredded bamboo fibers are compressed under extreme heat and pressure.  This manufacturing process yields flooring that is even harder and more dense than traditional bamboo floors. Available in a variety of colors to complement and d├ęcor, all Morning Star strand bamboo products are finished with premium coating and backed by a 30-year warranty.
And, since bamboo is a naturally sustainable grass that re-grows spontaneously after harvest, you can feel good about making an environmentally friendly flooring decision.
If you are buying over 800 sq feet the price is only $3.39 sq ft!



Here is an in progress photo of the floor being laid.  See the groovy looking substance? That is the glue that is put down first, then the flooring is locked in place on the glue.  In our situation, we had to have 1/2" plywood put down before the new flooring could be laid.


Here is a progress shot of the flooring being laid in the family room.


Here is a photo of the room with the new flooring before
 the floors had been vacuumed or mopped.


Beautiful and durable bamboo flooring!


One of the reasons I needed a durable finish for my floors is because
we have dogs.  Dogs nails are hard on flooring but these floors hold up well to dogs wear and tear.  


The hardwood flooring testers!

It has been almost 8 months and the floors still look brand new.  I am replacing all the flooring downstairs but the good news is I can do it room by room at my own pace and don't have to move out of my house.  We are enjoying the new floors.  The finish is beautiful and make our house look like a new home.  It is amazing how quickly these floors go in and how they update a house.  

I have a new, updated blog coming very soon!  I will be featuring my entire renovation on the blog in hopes of giving you some ideas and insight into some great companies for you to consider for your next renovation.  I will be sharing more about my Lumber Liquidators Bamboo Floors and will share video very soon!

If you are in the market for new flooring for your home or for a client's project, make sure you check out Lumber Liquidators.  Not only do they have a vast array of options but they will ship you free samples and help you determine the best flooring options for your lifestyle and budget. 

Pop over to your local Lumber Liquidators and see for yourself!



Disclaimer:  Lumber Liquidators sponsored this post but all ideas and opinions are my own. I only post about products I approve and think my readers will benefit from knowing about. 
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience choosing hardwood flooring. I am an interior designer from the indiana design center in Carmel indiana. My husband and I put in hardwood floors from lumber liquidators 9 years ago in our home. We have a Labradors retriever! Our wood floor is Brazilian teak that after 9 years looks a good as the day we first installed it. Lumber liquidators offers good products at a good price point. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    Gorgeous, gorgeous! Thanks for the very informative post about the bamboo floors. Love the look and think the color is perfect! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!