Wednesday, June 27, 2012

One Room Challenge...



Week #1 of The One Room Challenge!


 Join the summer fun, while twenty interior designers/bloggers and I put our design talents to the test transforming a room of our choice. Yes, that's right, while the rest of you are sipping margaritas by the pool, we will be choosing fabrics, paints and wallpaper to create a dream space!  Each participate has selects a room in their own home or a client's and has six weeks to redo it. There will be posts each Wednesday at a minimum, but each blogger has the option to do as many posts as they like.

 If you are not one of my subscribers, now is the perfect time to sign up so you won't miss out on these fun transformations!  Thanks to our organizer Linda of My Crafty Home Life and our graphic artist Jennifer of The Pink Pagoda.

A extra special thanks to Jennifer for suggesting I be included in the challenge!
Below is the list of all the participates.  At the bottom of this post is a link to their blogs.  Make sure you check out each participate to get really great ideas for your own house!  We will share DIY tips, paint choices, fabric selections and other fun little secrets and tidbits you don't want to miss.  



The Room I have chosen to do is a client's family room!
Here are some before pics!  Sorry, I failed to get a full view of the room and since I am 2 hrs from the project, don't think that is going to happen!   So I drew a quick sketch of the floor plan to give you an idea of the space with the existing furniture.  


Existing floor plan:


Here is a photo of the left side of the room.  This gives you an idea of what the room currently looks like.  The walls are Sherwin Williams Muslin.  Drapery panels are from Pier One.  This is a second home and the client moved in rather quickly, so she put things in the room to have somewhere to sit and something to cover the windows temporarily until she could get the room designed the way she wanted.  She wish list is  to redesign the entire space  and pick a deeper paint color, possibly furnishings, fabrics and accessories.



Existing window treatment

Existing chair


 This art is hanging on the opposite side of the fireplace from the photo above.  To give you an better visual, there is a cabinet below this piece of art identical to the cabinet in the first photo so the fireplace is flanked by those cabinets with the each piece of art hanging above the cabinets.




This is the existing rug.  As you can see the chair is a flax colored linen club chair.
Again, sorry no pic.  Also did not get a picture of the sofa but it is olive tweed and is 91" long.  It is sitting facing the fireplace with the floral chair on the left side side and the linen chair on the right of the fireplace.


This is the breakfast area in the kitchen.  Since the kitchen/breakfast room are open to the family room, I decided to treat it as one room.


This is the kitchen.  We plan to do a couple of things in there as well.

The client gave me the following to photos for inspiration:


Family Room designed by Lisa Ball


Family Room designed by Tobi Fairley



I can't wait to get started on this project!  After I throughly interview my client, and take inventory of the room, we will decide together what she wants to keep to work with and what can go.   We will look at the existing floor plan, to see how the flow has worked for the client, then discuss other options.  Next, I will do a layout of the space on graph paper and  plan the best layout for the room.  I have a feeling we will be making some changes.  After we space plan, we will begin choosing furniture, fabrics and paint colors!!! 
 It's going to be so exciting!!!!  I hope you will come back each week to see our progress!!!


This is a list of  all the  participates in The One Room Challenge!  
Please check out their blogs to see their rooms!
Lauren - The Cottage Mix
Lindsay - Everything LEB
Barbara - Hodge:Podge
Tiffany - Living Savvy
Jessie - Mix & Chic
Danylle - Nana Moon
Jennifer - The Pink Pagoda
Bethany - Powell Brower Home
Emily - Rue de Emily
Lindsay - Sadie + Stella

Pin It!

23 comments:

  1. Your inspiration pics are lovely. I can't wait to see how your room turns out. Welcome to ORC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't wait to pop over and see yours!!!! It's great to be in the group with such sweet women!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lisa - I was so excited to see you listed as a participant in this challenge. I know you will do a phenomenal job on your client's family room. Have fun!! Look forward to the weekly updates :-)
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the inspiration pictures. This will be so fun to see your interpretation of them. Two hour drive....wow, you must really like this client.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is an old friend! I have done a couple of house there and she asked me to help her.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to keeping up with all of your progress as your clients room gets transformed. What a fun challenge! Love the soft neutral palettes in your inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elizabeth! Thanks for commenting! Guess you are in the throws of moving! Did you get some people to guest post? I thought about offering but figured you would get many who would help! If not, let me know!

      Delete
  5. This is going to be fun, Lisa! So excited to see the progress each week!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. lisa- this is such a great concept, right up your alley and I will be so excited to see your progress. Let me know if you need some original art...seriously, I would love to help you in this venture!!! Cant wait to see the colors!!! have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesli, this is actually the client that has the dog that I really want you to paint!!! I have talked to her about you. I need to bring this up again! She would love it!

      Delete
  7. The inspirational pictures are beautiful. Looking forward to next Wednesday for updates on your client's family room!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie!! I think this is going to be fun!!!!

      Delete
  8. Lisa, I can't wait to see what you do with the space! It has great bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does Laura, it is a great space!!! Stay tuned!!!

      Delete
  9. Lisa...don't challenge a Pisces!!! She will always take it to the next level!!!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true but I am an Aries!!!! We Ram's like to forge ahead too!

      Delete
  10. I love the family room designed by Tobi Fairley. I want to live in a home like this. The place was so beautiful. What an inspiring home interior shots! :)
    houses for sale philippines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and commenting Paula! Aren't those inspiration rooms great!

      Delete
  11. Looking forward to the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It look unusual, i like it so much and i love your exclusive ideas,really you have one of beautiful Decor Zone at the internet :) ,, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

    Visit: http://cebuayalahomes.com/

    Click Me For Philippine Real Estate

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!