Thursday, December 19, 2013

Merry Christmas to Me! Plus Tips I have learned about Spear Mounted Awnings!


via

I'm so excited!  I have always loved awnings and now I am getting one over my front door and over my gazebo on my deck!  The sales rep is on the way to my house!  I already know they will be charcoal and white sunbrella custom stripes!  What style do I want?  I think I know but what doe you like?  My house is a traditional colonial.  I just changed my paint colors from creme, with white trim and black shutters to White/white with charcoal shutters and an aqua door so I think the stripe will look great and add charm.  These three styles are what I am considering. 

via

I don't want it to look too commercial.  Which do you like?
via
 Tips I have learned about Spear Mounted Awnings

1) Always use Sunbrella or outdoor canvas. Sunbrella has a 10 year warranty while others like Outdura are only 5 years.  Plus they have tons of colors.
2) Consider the projection when choosing the size awning you need.  If over a doorway the door must be able to open so you must allow for the projection.  Typically about 40" projections is fine.
3) When using the spear type awning make sure you use substantial iron so the awning can withstand strong winds.
4) Awnings provide protection from sun damage and help with energy costs if installed on a south facing facade
5) The awning should be 8" wider than the door on both sides
6) If the awning will be 43" or smaller it needs to be 13 1/2"above door
7) If the awning will be 72" or larger there it to be 16 1/2" above door.
8) A valance around the edge or on the front of the awning is typically about 7" long
9)  Allow approx. 12" drop from where the awning is mounted above the door. 

Here is a helpful video about how to clean awnings from PYC Awnings


Do you have any experience with awnings?  If so, please share!  Would love any advice.  This is my first "awning experience"  !    Oops! The rep is here gotta run!  I'll get quotes from several local companies and decide which is best. I did find this great online resource called

Happy Holidays!  Here's wishing safe dashing around town!

P.S. I think the yellow/white stripe style above will be my #1 choice.
Can't wait to share the before and after!
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Lisa, I like the scoop style and your colors will be amazing with the awning addition!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of awnings and the color will look great! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awning envy!! LOVE the spear awnings...always have, always will. Great post Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So chic! Now let me see where I can use an awning. Merry Christmas, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful present to yourself! I love any awning—especially black and white striped. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    xo, Lissy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them both but would choose the first. I have a poorly done mock up of black and white stripe awnings for my home. I was afraid of them looking like lens crafters awning, so I completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely and charming decorations. The woodland theme is so right for this time of year. Coincidentally, I put my super large mercury glass ornaments into an ironstone bowl this year. That was after my tree fell over from the weight of heavy ornaments. Now it is tethered to a beam in the wall. There is something to be said for a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.
    Merry Christmas to you. Lovely and charming decorations

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your kind comments! I enjoy your feedback! No spam, link backs or commercial advertisements please! They will be removed!